Lucas and his fancy Hearing Aids!


Thursday, July 22, 2010

CDS Evaluation

Child Development Services stopped by yesterday and evaluated Lucas. He automatically qualifies for services due to his hearing, but the evaluate to determine what his plan will be and make sure there is nothing else he will need.

They were two very nice ladies, and they were great at explaining everything. They started out by picking Lucas up and testing his neck/trunk/leg strength. That is one area I am NOT concerned with. Just like his big brother, he is very strong, and they were really impressed with him. They put him on his tummy and he immediately started doing the "superman", lifting his head and his legs at the same time. Very cute, and just what he should be doing!

Next they shined a little light at him and tried to get him to track it. He didn't do it- he was WAY too busy smiling and flirting with the lady that had the light. This is one area that I had/have concerns. If he is looking at your face and interacting with you, it's really hard to get him to look at something else. However, I came to the conclusion, and the CDS ladies agreed, that because he can't hear faces are *very* interesting to him, and give him the most input and pleasure. Babies love to look at faces anyway, but Lucas seems to really love it! They were able to get him to track an object and look left and right, so they weren't worried. I feel much better about it, but will probably still ask his Pedi Dr. Miller to make sure everything is looking good with his eyes at his next appointment- just for extra reassurance.

The one thing he didn't do much of was grab at the toys they held for him. He did bring his hands to midline and kind of reach for a lego, but he wasn't that interested. They weren't too concerned, just said to keep an eye on it. Of course after they left I was thinking about that, and realized that I don't hang a lot of toys in front of him. I'm always interacting with him face to face, and signing to him. He hasn't had much opportunity to explore with toys like that (bad mommy!). I hung a bunch of toys on his playmat, and he started grabbing at them and kicking them within a few minutes. Sometimes I can be a little slow to catch on! ;)

He was SO smiley and happy and talkative the whole time they were there. They said he obviously is a very social little guy, and they didn't have any worries about his cognitive or gross/fine motor skills. It was such a relief to hear that, even though I know he's doing great.

My mind tends to go to places it shouldn't and I get really worried about little things that I *know* I shouldn't be worrying about. I'm still nervous about the genetic testing, but hopefully once we get answers (either way) I'll relax a bit. I'm really really really crossing my fingers that he doesn't have anything else going on besides the hearing loss.

I didn't realize this, but CDS actually provides monetary help. They will be reimbursing us 22 cents a mile for every trip to the audiologist/ENT, and will be helping with the cost of any hearing aids and even the Signing Times DVDs. That was a pleasant surprise! They will be a supplement to the Early Child and Family Services people, and will fill any gaps, or pay for any programs they don't cover. I am so pleased that we have so many resources available to us. Our tax dollars hard at work!

It was a great appointment, and I was really happy with the outcome. Noah was present for it, and although he was a little bit of a distraction (he's Mister social, and was trying to get the ladies to play with him the whole time!) I think it was good for him to be part of it because it's something that will be a part of our lives now.

No comments:

Post a Comment