Lucas and his fancy Hearing Aids!


Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A peek into a different future...

We went camping with the Boys and my Dad this weekend (I was very outnumbered!). It was a total blast. Noah was a little tornado, but had tons of fun, and Lucas did great!

The bathrooms had been closed all day, and finally around 8pm they reopened them. I went to go take a shower, and of course there was a line since everyone else had the same idea. While I was waiting, I watched two Mom's that were bathing their babies in the sinks. They were probably around one and 18 months old. I watched and listened as they talked to their cute little girls, and their girls responded. Their hands were pretty full trying to contain slippery baby and clean them at the same time. I had a moment where I flashed to the future and put myselves in their places. I thought of how, even if Lucas had hearing aids or a cochlear implant at that point, he wouldn't be wearing them for a bath. I thought about how it would probably be hard to sign to him, while I was trying to keep him from falling over in the sink and clean him at the same time. Of course, neither of these things are devestating, but it did make me a little sad for the future instances like that where I wouldn't be able to really have a conversation with him while I was bathing him. It was the first time I had really been around other babies (other then my neice, but she's younger, so it's different) and thought of how different it will be for us sometimes.

I didn't let myself have a pity party over it, but I wont lie and say it didn't make me a little sad. I have been reminding myself that the things I REALLY want for him are for him to not have any other problems, and something like not being able to talk to him sometimes in situations like that really isn't the end of the world. But still, I have my moments when things get me a little bummed out. I'm sure there will be more instances like this in the future, and I think it's ok to be a little sad, as long as I don't dwell on it.

He is such an incredibly happy baby. He smiles all the time, and will stare at you forever and have little conversations with you, puncuated with happy grins, and little giggles. He also loves it when I sign to him. There are plenty of positives that outweight the bad. One silver lining is that when my 28 month old is being loud of having a holy fit and Lucas is sleeping, he generally won't wake up! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment