Lucas and his fancy Hearing Aids!


Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Signing Savvy

I've been using this great website to learn signs for Lucas. It has thousands of signs, all shown in little video clips. You can look up words, or phrases. I've found it to be SO helpful while we are waiting for the Early Intervention services to start up. It's actually been pretty fun to learn the signs, and use them when talking to Lucas. I always talk to him while I am signing. It's really important that we continue to communicate with him verbally even as we sign to him.

I've started teaching Noah some signs too. He is picking it up SO quickly. His little brain is like a sponge. He doesn't do them all 100% correctly, but he is trying, and seems really into it, which is exciting. It makes me happy to know that Noah will probably pick this up quicker then the rest of us, and will also be able to communicate with his brother. I've been talking to Noah about what is going on with Lucas, but I'm sure he doesn't really get it yet. I've told him the Lucas' ears don't work right now and he can't hear us when we talk to him, and that's why we need to learn to talk to him with our hands. This website makes learning how to talk with his hands fun for him because he can watch the videos and try to mimic it. He loves stuff like that.

I've been compiling a list of words, names and phrases that we use often around Lucas. Every day I add more, and I am sure it will be a work in progress for a long time. You can create quizzes off the word list, which I have found very helpful. I'm sharing the link so that anyone that is interested can use it, and if anyone has any words, names or phrases they would like to see on it, just let me know and I'll add them!

http://www.signingsavvy.com/browse.php?list=9425&submit=View+List

I'm so glad there are resources like this out there for us. It is important to me that we get started on being able to communicate with him as soon as possible. He's only 10 weeks old, but I'm all about being proactive as possible, it can only help.

3 comments:

  1. I just saw the link to your journal on the mamas. I just graduated from a program for interpreting for the deaf. I like your attitude of wanting to teach your son ASL even if he gets a cochlear implant. I thought I would add, another great show for Noah to watch is Signing Time. It is a program for young children to learn sign language with music. It is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I linked over from The Mamas as well. If you haven't already done so, you should check out Signing Time. All of the series are wonderful, but your 2 year old will love the Baby Signing Time DVDs right now. I would be a great time to get him involved in learning signs to communicate with his brother and an easy way for your guys to pick up some signs as well. The songs are fun and entertaining for the whole family. (We used sign with my daughter who has speech delays and my youngest typical child loved it as well). Best wishes in your journey into a new and wonderful "normal" life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I'm replying so late ladies- I didn't realize I had comments!

    Thanks so much for your suggestions on the Signing Times DVDs! I have heard they are great, and am definitely going to be purchasing them so that Noah (and my husband and I!) can learn. He loves DVDs like that, so I'm sure he will have fun with them. It's amazing how quickly he is already picking it up with the signs I have been showing him!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete