Lucas and his fancy Hearing Aids!


Monday, June 28, 2010

Information we've received so far

I've been looking into all our options. Both sign language and hearing amplification. I found a website www.oraldeaf.org that has some REALLY good information and a great video about kids that either have high powered hearing aids or cochlear implants that are severely/profoundly deaf. It's amazing to see those children in school speaking and listening with their peers, you wouldn't even guess they were deaf. I got some information kits sent to us so that we could learn more about it, and so my family could get educated on cochlear implants as well.

Baxter school for the deaf have a lot of great programs. They have an oral deaf program (for kids with implants or aids that are learning to hear and speak) and also a traditional deaf school that teaches ASL. They have a bunch of programs for famililes of deaf children, that I am currently looking into.

We have decided to both learn sign language and are also hoping he will be able to receive a cochlear implant. He IS a deaf child, and we want to be able to communicate with him before, and after he gets his implant because he will still be a deaf child, especially if he doesn't have his implant on. Plus I want him to be able to be a part of the deaf culture and all the amazing things that come with it. I do hope he'll be able to hear and speak since the majority of the world is a hearing and speaking place. I want him to be able to be in mainstream schools. I want his life to be a "normal" as possible, he will just be bilingual in a different way :)

Children's Developmental Services has also contacted me and informed us that we are eligible for free services like speech therapy, which is amazing. They make home visits, which is GREAT since Noah will able to be included, which I think is really important. I'm waiting on getting some paperwork from them, and am looking forward to getting started. I want to start learning sign, and anything else they feel we need to learn ASAP! Let's get this ball rolling!

I want to be as proactive as possible, and have a lot of things to look into. Lucas will have the best life possible, and is so incredibly loved. To quote Mary Poppins, he is "practically perfect in every way". :) This is certainly a challenge, and something I wasn't expecting, but we will meet this challenge head on and make the best of it. I'm sure there are some amazing experiences that will come of this.

2 comments:

  1. Tonya, Norman, Noah, and Lucas,

    I am so profoundly moved by your positive, supportive, and open outlook throughout this experience, and I send your beautiful family the upmost love, luck, and hopes for success that I possibly can. To quote another Julie Andrews movie, "When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window" (Sound of Music). I believe that Lucas has been born into the most wonderful family who could not be more perfect in fostering his needs and helping him thrive. MUCH LOVE, and I hope to meet this amazing little guy soon! Tonya, your words are so encouraging, beautiful, and such a sign of your strength of character. XOXOXOXOXO Lana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lana,

    Thank you so much for your wonderful words. They mean a lot to me. I like that quote- it is very true! We are very lucky to be blessed by this little boy, and I wouldn't change a thing about him. Let me know when you are in town, I'd love to see you and introduce you to Lucas. My mom will actually be on Matinacus (sp?) Fri-Sun, so maybe you will see her!

    <3 Tonya

    ReplyDelete